Tartu Õlletehas in the Soviet time
In January 1941, the nationalized enterprise was named the Tartu Õlletehas and in April former Livonia was joined to it that became the Kalda Street Department.
Kalda Street brewery (established in 1863) that had repeatedly changed owners was modernized in 1910 as a steam brewery and from 1916 was owned by an Estonian Ants Silvere (before 1935 Hans Silbergleich). Livonia, that had remained independent, caused with keen competition a lot of trouble to the beer trust. A. Silvere’s son Albert who had learned beer-making technology in Czechoslovakia and Germany took over the management of the company in 1930. In 1939, several business enterprises owned by the family were reorganized into a Public Limited Company A. Silvere & Ko. The brewery was seriously damaged during the war summer in 1941 and the production buildings were completely destroyed in 1944.
During the World War II in 1941-1944, a national undertaking Bierbrauerei Dorpat operated from the production of which 80% went to satisfy the needs of German army.